Find out what to ask to ensure you are hiring a Force Free trainer.
Read "10 Questions To Ask Your Dog Trainer Before Hiring Them" by the Pet Professional Guild, committed to force free training.
New Puppy Training
Dogs are given up, not because they cannot sit when asked, but because they cannot be handled, are afraid of the environment (dogs/people) and have bitten hard enough to cause damage.
1) to enjoy having paws manipulated, poked and squeezed (nail trims, paws wiped, tourniquets applied, pulling out burrs, etc)
2) to enjoy being restrained (vet visits, groomers)
3) to enjoy body handling all over - eyes, ears, tail, mouth (children hug)
4) to enjoy the bath experience / being brushed, combed - (pulling out matts)
5) to explore and experience many different surfaces / sounds/ sights / places / people - builds confidence
6) to give up items willingly
7) teach a soft mouth (bite inhibition)
8) most important is to experience people! (of different skin tones), men (beards, glasses, hats) women, children of varying sizes and ages. Not just family members.
Your dog knows how to sit and lie down. You see him do it all the time. The above mentioned goals have a finite window of opportunity. Take advantage of the first 3/4 months and teach your puppy the world is a safe place.
My New Puppy Program (in home training) focuses on ensuring your puppy gets a solid foundation.
What Clients Are Saying
Janis is absolutely fantastic! After we got our golden doodle puppy we were completely lost. We tried watching videos and guides on what to do but we were not seeing much progress. Along came Janis and our lives got easier! From the first moment she walked into the house our puppy loved her. Janis taught us how to train our puppy not by simply telling us what to do but first by showing us and then coaching us through the first couple tries while telling us what to watch for and how to set our puppy up for success. While the sessions are amazing, the best part of working with Janis is that she literally takes her work home with her and makes herself available to you via email (and we sent a lot of them!) If you need to train your dog look no further than Janis, you will not regret the decision.
Daniel Engel, Toronto
Read more testimonials here.